Wednesday, March 2, 2016

The View from My Sewing Machine

Here was the view from my sewing machine a couple of evenings ago:

How cool is that?

I'm not a huge sewer, but I finished one major project last year, a rag quilt.  I use the word "rag" kind of loosely.  I had a growing pile of the kids' outgrown clothes in the bottom of my closet.  These were clothes that had been rejected by the thrift shop because of a small stain or hole, but still seemed too good to just throw away.

So, I decided to turn them into a quilt for our bed and I started slicing and dicing.  I still felt guilty about the amount of fabric that I wasted/threw away, but I figure at least I got something out of them.  I just avoided any stained/holey areas as best I could.  I cut 4" squares.
Three hundred and forty two 4" squares.

It took me many, many months of intermittent work to finish, and we love the final product, but never will I ever do it again.  It was just so much cutting!!!

Cue Christmas:  Bekah received a sewing machine from Grandma Helen and fabric from Aunt Sandy.


I came home from work one of the latter days of Christmas vacation to find that Bekah had sewn this dress:

What the...?  How the...???  Who can do that???  Who just up and sews a dress on day #3 of owning a sewing machine?  This girl is a wonder.

Since then she has made a coordinating dress for one of her BFFs and a quilt for her other BFF's birthday:

She even got a paying gig to sew a curtain for her Kallinen cousins' bedroom window!


The kids love the quilt on our bed and of course each want their own now.  I know I said I would never do it again, but this time around I am getting out the rotary cutter and sewing machine every time the pile gets more than a handful of items in it, so it is much more manageable.  Plus I'm using 8" squares instead of 4".  I couldn't really do that with our quilt because it used a lot of Alarik's stuff that wasn't big enough for larger squares.  Also, this time I am doing the method where you cut two layers from the clothing, sew diagonal across the square both ways, then when it comes time to sew the quilt together you do the clipping method so that one side is all raggedy.  Here's my sewing basket with stacks of completed squares just waiting to multiply into enough for a quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment