Tuesday, March 29, 2016

What We're Reading

We're a family of readers.  Partially forced by daily reading goals from the kids' teachers, partially influenced by not have TV and being very intentional about how much time we spend on screens, we've really all been reading more in the last several years.

Here's what's either in progress or recently finished:
"Deep Blue" by Jennifer Donnelly - the first book in the WaterFire Saga series that Bekah has read through the third book and is already re-reading.

"Paine. Collected Thoughts"

Jesse and I both read “Discovery of Freedom” by Rose Wilder Lane at the suggestion of a City Clerk friend of mine who thought it might be a good read for the Athenian Dialogues we participate in.  Lane referenced the writings of Thomas Paine numerous times and Jesse thought he might like to explore those further so he ordered this one from the library.  It’s a doozy.  800+ Bible-thin pages with lots of hithertos and wherefores.  I will not be reading that one!

"DragonBreath - No Such Thing as Ghosts" byUrsula Vernon
Scott is reading both this series and the "I Survived" series.  My kids drive me nuts reading numerous books at one time.  I am a one-book-at-a-time kind of girl.

Adventures of the Northwoods series by Lois Walfrid Johnson
Bekah is currently on book 8 of this series.  I started reading them as our bedtime book and we've read the first one so far. I have several books in the series that were gifts from my childhood church at Christmastime.  The ones I'm missing we're ordering from the library.

"Revenge of the Baby-Sat"  Both Bekah and Scott love Calvin & Hobbes, also a favorite from my own childhood.

And here are Alarik's current favorites; the ones he picks EVERY time: 

I have finally succumbed to ebooks after discovering that I could borrow them from my library.  I've been on a kick of books about simple living, slowing down, living intentionally, decluttering and the like.  I've read:
"Enough - finding more by living with less" by Will Davis Jr.
"The 100 Thing Challenge" by Dave Bruno
"Simplicity Parenting" by Kim John Payne
"Organized Simplicity" by Tsh Oxenrider and
"The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey (not perfectly in line with the rest of these, but enough related that it is worth a mention)

As you might imagine, these books have spurred a fair amount of purging, sorting, decluttering and simplifying around our house.  Jesse is on board with me and we've talked to the kids during the process.  I think we're at a pretty good age for driving home some lessons about stuff not making you happy, how too much stuff ends up costing you both time and money that you could be spending on/with the people you love, the very few things that you truly love, and helping others.

The results of that will be another post for another time...

No comments:

Post a Comment