Friday, April 29, 2016

School/City Partnership

The 4th and 5th graders from Bigfork School walked across the river to Main Street last Friday and helped us City staff members pick up litter in honor of Earth Day.  This is the second time that we've had them come and work with us and it's always fun. 

Handing out gloves and garbage bags:

Since Jesse wasn't working, I convinced him to come and help.  He and Aaron got the group of rowdy boys and both told me afterwards that they want a group of girls next year!

A reward of cookies and juice goes a long way with this crowd:

Less than a week later, I was working with the 5th grade class again.  This time I was the one crossing the river to the school.  I spent about 45 minutes in their classroom talking to them about local government, council structure and role, city staff roles and responsibilities, and issues facing the City.  They got to be a mock city council and discuss and vote on an issue.  Then they were given a persuasive writing assignment on why citizens should be engaged in their local government and how the City can encourage that participation.  I can't wait to read their suggestions!


No comments:

Post a Comment