Saturday, April 30, 2016

What We're Reading

We've gone classic over the last month.  Here's what the family's been reading since my last reading post:

All about the Twain.  I started reading Huckleberry Finn as our bedtime book.  It's a great one, but man, is it hard to read Jim's dialogue aloud!  I have to read slowly because of that and so that I can catch all the "n" words in there and say "slave" instead.  Scott had little to no knowledge of slavery prior to reading this so he keeps stopping me to say, "Wait.  What?  Why would he have to buy his own kids???"  Great for some deep discussions.

Jesse broke out The Complete Short Stories of Mark Twain a couple of weeks ago.  He and I had a date planned to see River Songs & Tales with Mark Twain at the local theater so he was prepping for that.  It was a great show and now he keeps sharing stories with me from this book that he wants me to read.  I had not even heard that this show was coming to town when I started reading Huck Finn to the kids.  It was just a fun coincidence, especially since a couple of the recitations in the show were from that book.

I ordered The Grapes of Wrath from the library and it is another one that has some hard dialect in it.  But at least I don't have to read that one out loud.  I just finished it and must say that I did not enjoy it.  It was depressing and the final paragraph left a disturbing mental imagine for me that I haven't been able to shake yet.  Ugh... on to something more light hearted for me!

Scott is on book 3 of the Harry Potter series.  (That's got to be considered classic by now, doesn't it?)  And Bekah is reading White Fang.

Here's what is topping Alarik's list lately:
LMNO Peas
More Bears!
The Von Hamm Family - Alex and the Tart
The Bear Ate Your Sandwich
Beekle the Unimaginary Friend
Yes Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment